<span class="highlight">Boat</span> Loaders- Our experience

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 18:03
ThreadID: 63688 Views:7635 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Custom Boat Loader- Our experience

Below is an account of our experience with our custom boat loader.
PLEASE NOTE, THESE ARE JUST OUR EXPERIENCES AND YOUR SITUATION IS LIKELY TO BE DIFFERENT FROM OURS. HOW SO, DIFFERENT BOAT,CAR,EXPECTATIONS AND WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.
We purchased our loader earlier this year and it was shipped from Perth in a timely manner to the installer Hugh Dunbar of Hazard Engineering in Adelaide .
We decided to go for a loader wider than we needed for the boat we had chosen, in case we ever wished to move up to a large boat, as at the time we had not put our new tinny in the water and were unsure if it was going to be big enough and stable enough. Now we have used the boat, 3.75 Topper Tracker Mako Craft 75Kg, formerly Stessl, we are very happy with the handling and stability from such a small boat.
Before delivery I went and purchased a new Makita drill to operate the loader unfortunately I was told that a 10mm chuck would be ok, as it turned out I needed a 13mm chuck and a very powerful drill.
I ended up buying a 750 watt Metabo drill with a 13mm chuck and fully reversible. You can use an adaptor in a 10mm chuck but I found it vibrated and wobbled too much.
Hugh turned out to be a really nice guy deal with and nothing was too much trouble. This was fortunate as I had to return to him to have the ropes re-adjusted and a leaking gearbox replaced. Once notified the crew at Custom Boat Loaders had one sent over in a flash and replaced at no cost. In hindsight I would probably have gone for the remote control unit.
I will try to put the rest in point form. These are the good and bad points FROM OUR POINT OF VIEW.

? Dianne & Bill are great people to deal with
? The rack is VERY well made
? Relatively light,45kg, I think
? Allows one person to load and un-load quite a heavy boat from a high vehicle by themselves
? Good tie down points, I found ONCE the boat was loaded on straight with the ropes properly adjusted and strapped down it didn’t move on the loader
? As it is an all alloy product there are no rust issue’s with the unit itself

? When finished un-loading by myself I find if I spin the ropes back on they become out of adjustment, this is because there is no load on them.
? To spin the ropes of the loader by yourself without them being under load can be a problem
? If the ropes are out of adjustment the boat will pull up or lower unevenly, when loading this can mean when tightened the boat will pull sideways on the roof and sit unevenly necessitating the boat to be unloaded again.
? In order for the boat to pivot of the rear bumper the hitch needs to be removed and a plate inserted, this is a pain for us as we have a pinch bolt, so this means spanners and getting under the car
? We found the width of the loader a real pain in tight bush and it caused considerable stress , not only did I not wish to damage the boat or load this was secondary in my mind to getting hooked on a large tree and bending the car roof
? I’m Five 11” and need to stand on a stool to hold the drill to unload the boat (Troopy)
? As above the height was an issue and meant we had to take the boat of the roof to get down many tracks while still facing the width issue.
? We were disappointed with what we could load on the roof under the boat. The demo video we had seen showed the boat dropping onto the roof right at the end of the loading process. This is not the case with our boat, therefore with the boat sliding most of the way we are very limited with what we can carry on the rack. There is also not much width to be used due to the loading ropes.
? With a raised up Troopy we found fuel economy not as affected as one might expect, but it is like driving a wind sock and you get blown everywhere.
? With 10k under its belt the rack has been removed as we aren’t traveling at the moment, I was very disappointed to see the amount of paint removed down both sides of the roof. Had the rack been left on for a year of two this would have lead to substantial rust. I wasn’t really surprised as you could hear the loader creaking on the roof. I kept the brackets tight at all times. The paint removed may not have been directly from the loader touching the roof but organic matter stuck in between the rack and the roof and the rack moving. Have had an ARB rack before and lost very little paint.

Well that sums that up. As you can see some of these issues are specific to a Custom rack, MANY are not.
I hope this give people an idea of what they are up for should the choose to put a boat on the roof of their car, many of the problems I faced will be found with any rack and quite possibly more with other brands of loaders.
Regards Lyndon Kain
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:15

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:15
A very thorough report there Lyndon.

As you say, some of the issues you raise are to do with carrying a roof topper, regardless of the rack / loader.

When I was looking to get a loader I had a number of communications with Bill and Di from Custom Boat Loaders. I always found them very helpful and informative. From my research, I believe they make an excellent loader. It was one of only two on my final short list.

In the end, I went with a rack and loader made by Almac Trailers in Bundaberg. If I was carrying a smaller boat, had a different vehicle and carried less stuff when we travel, I may have gone with the Custom Boat Loader. The main reasons for my selection were:

- My rack is 2400mm long and 1400mm wide (it was made this size to suit my vehicle). Every bit of it is available to carry stuff under the boat. I can pack stuff as high as the space under the boat permits in the rear 1200mm or so. Forward of that, I can pack about 350mm high. That allows a lot of storage under the boat.

-The load capacity of the rack is limited only by the roof carry limit - in my case 200 KG. That is before ROPS was built in, so it could handle a lot more I suspect, but I stick to around 200 KG to avoid shifting the vehicle balance too high.

-When not carrying the boat, I have a very large roof rack available to normal use.

-My rack comes standard with romote control electric winch.

The one downside I see with the Almac compared to the Custom, is that for unloading, I have to slide my boat back by hand to the 'point of balance'. I then lower it using the winch. It is not difficult to slide the boat and it is not an issue for me. But for some people it might be.

Like your loader, and all others I am aware of, I have to remove the tow hitch and insert a frame when loading and unloading.

For the last few years, I've carried a roof topper on trips that we loaded by hand. That was fine in the past. But we resently moved up to a Sea Jay 3.95 Angler which weighs 115KG. Loading by hand was out of the question.

I'm very happy to now be able to load the boat myself with little effort.

Norm C

AnswerID: 336261

Reply By: Member - John M (NSW) - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 08:03

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 08:03
Guys
Have a look at the Jamic Boatloader. I have one of these, it is impossible to damage your vehicle or boat and my wife can put the boat on either of our vehicles and also launch or retrieve the boat to or from the water. They are fantastic and you can completely fill your roof rack if you want. The boat cannot fall, slip or slide at any point of the operation and there are no ongoing adjustments. The loader is rated for 120kg SWL. Regards John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 336308

Sponsored Links